Project Goal, Objectives, Activities & Indicators:
Overall Goal: Children from maha-Dalit communities especially musher children (3-11 yrs of age) of Dhanrua block of Patna district acquire foundational learning competencies in the inclusive school environment and pursue school education.
Project Goal-Phase 1 (2019-2021)
By March 2021, Children of maha-Dalit communities especially musher children in 3-11 yrs of age group have improved foundational competencies in mathematics in an inclusive environment and demonstrate early learning capacities.
The first two years of the project (Nov 2019 to March 2021) will be phase-1 for the project. Towards the end of the first phase, a project evaluation will be conducted to assess the extent of progress and impact of the project intervention with regard to agreeing upon intermediate goals, objectives, and envisaged outcomes. The evaluation will also assess the partner capacities & learning’s along with their management and implementation skills. The findings of the evaluation will determine further course of action in context to project continuation & refinement of strategies and activities for the subsequent Phases.
Coverage (No. of Villages, School, and Anganwadi), Phase-1
- Strengthening community voices to demand quality educational services and functioning of inclusive educational process and systems.
- Building capacities of government school teachers and pre-school teachers on inclusive education pedagogy and its classroom transactions.
- To engage with block and district governments for promoting inclusive educational practies in government schools.
Project Implementation Strategies:
This is the building block of the subsequent phases. In this Phase, the Primary focus is to organize and mobilize the community institution (SMC/MS/ CBOs) and build their leadership and voice in preparation for them to learn to demand their rights and entitlements including educational rights and impact government systems for inclusive teaching-learning pedagogies and inclusive classroom transactions through the following strategies:
- Community mobilization process to focus on building the collective strength and overarching leadership of the community through facilitation & strengthening larger community platforms to be formed and strengthened at village level and further at cluster level as a common platform to negotiate & advocate for rights and entitlements of musar community including educational rights of children as well as to impact the local educational eco-system for education at block & district level. Simultaneously capacities of VSS/MS/ PRI’S would be built around their roles and responsibilities in line with Rte/ICDS norms enabling them to monitor the functioning of Schools and AWCs, prepare of SDPs, and village education plan, and ensure quality education for all children.
- Children’s parliament to be strengthened in all schools in the intervention area and activities with the children would be organized to build their understanding on issues like child rights, their educational rights, and entitlements, children’s participation in schools and community. Resource inputs would be provided to the representatives on issues as roles & responsibilities of child parliament, child labor, child trafficking, gender violence, and related issues so that the children recognize and raise an issue related to violation of child rights and provisions for children.
- Capacity building of the project team and key stakeholders: The first year of the project would focus on building the capacities of partner staff on concepts of inclusive education, mathematics, TLM developments, Eleven Step methodology, Kehl-Se-Mel, and its classroom transactions. This will initiate the development of capacities of partner organization with the objective to impart training and skill transfer among the School/Anganwadi teachers on inclusive educational practices and building an inclusive educational environment followed by on-site support to the School/Anganwadi teachers for classroom transaction for improved learning levels.
- Local Resource Group (Teacher Resource Groups/ Capacity Building of Tola Sewaks) will be promoted to create a cadre of promoters to influence the government system to address issues of diversity in the classroom for promoting educational inclusion of children irrespective of caste and class. In addition, the TRGs will support other teachers in the block classroom transaction and usage of inclusive educational practices.
- Bal Mahotsav will be organized as an Important event to mainstream education in this community and also get their commitment to keeping this process going. It will be an exhibition of objects made by the students of various schools, a science exhibition at their level, an exhibition of things made by women of VSS and Mata Samiti, etc. Participation of district officials, DEO, BEO, BRC, and CRC members, and all the teachers for this meal would be explored. It also Could be an occasion to reward those teachers who have taken the trouble to introduce inclusion in the classroom setting to generate interest among the larger community.
- The capacities of the AWWs and government school teachers will be built around TLM development and classroom transactions of inclusive pedagogy through mathematics. The Partner Organisation will provide onsite support to the teachers in collaboration with TRGs to guide the teachers in effective transactions of the same. At the same time evidence to be pursued for credibility and conviction for promoting inclusive educational practices.